Sunday, April 9, 2017

20 MAR 17: Sanding cabin top – no pics: 2 hours

21 MAR 17: Cabin top: 7 hours
Began by making some clips that I will epoxy to the cabin top inside of the overhead console in order to attach adel clamps for wire runs.  I’ll attach 3 on each side of the overhead console:
I then fit some left over parabeam into the b-pillars.  There is a joggle in the pillar that I want to fill in and smooth over with micro:

Next was fitting the conduit in the a-pillars for wire runs – took a while to sand the pillars so the conduit would sit in the pillars.  It still sits proud in a few areas, but it is much better than when I first fit the conduit.  I then used some 5-minute epoxy to secure the conduit and used some expanding foam to fill in the dead space.  Once the foam is cured, I will shave it down and glass in the conduit:
Doesn’t seem like that should have taken 7 hours, but I spent a lot of time thinking about how I wanted to do certain things and less time actually doing them!

22 MAR 17: Cabin top: 6 hours
This is what the parabeam looks like epoxied to the top with some micro around the edges to hold it down.  Pretty rough!

I then began to glass in the conduits into the a-pillars.  All glassed in with peal ply attached:
At the end of the work session, I removed the peal ply.  Looking fairly good.  It will take quite a bit of filling/sanding to make the two sides symmetrical, but I believe the final, finished look will be well worth the work:
Finally, I epoxied parabeam to the other b-pillar, and sanded and spread a thick coat of micro to the pillar that had already cured.  Once this is cured, I will sand to a nice even shape.  Just like frosting a cake!

23 MAR 17: Drilled instrument panel: 5 hours
Began by drilling the panel inserts for the Aerosport panel.  I will then install nutplates into the panel flanges allowing the inserts to be screwed to the panel:
I installed the cabin top back on the fuselage one more time to double check my gap between the gutter and the doors for the McMaster-Carr seals.  I wanted to ensure this gap was consistent before I continued finishing the interior of the top and attached the overhead console.  While it was installed, I test fit one of the Rosen visors to ensure I would have no interference with the way I am planning on closing out the pillars:
A shot from the inside.  It’s pretty awesome seeing these little things come together.  I can begin to see little snapshots of the plane that it will become – pretty exciting!
I have to go away for a couple weeks to do simulator training for my airline, so this is how she will remain.  Beginning to come together!

9 APR 17: Prekote / Prime: 3 hours

Made it home for a few days – have to go back for another couple weeks of simulator training – and had such a nice afternoon, I decided to finish up some priming.  This is really the last of the metal in the airplane.  Primed the panel inserts, oil cooler mount, tail light adapter, door strut brackets, and some brackets that I made for wire runs throughout the fuselage:

No comments:

Post a Comment