Sunday, March 19, 2017

17 MAR 17: FF 1-2 step 1 and deburring: 1 hour
I spent the past two weeks up in Charlotte doing some training for the airline I fly for, so I had a bit of a gap in building.  Today was a short session – cut, final-drilled, and deburred the oiler cooler mount – no pics.

18 MAR 17: Sanded cabin door frames, added flox: 3.5 hours
With the doors pretty much complete, it is time to start all the finish work – sanding, filling, sanding, and filling…  Started by ensuring I had a consistent 1/4” gap between the gutter and the inside door shell for the McMaster-Carr door seals.  Had to sand in a few places and add flox to build up the gutter in others – no pics.

19 MAR 17: Removed doors/cabin top and began sanding inside of cabin top: 5.75 hours
As depressing as it is to rip everything apart, it is part of the forward progress.  Time to begin finishing the inside of the cabin top.  Back to where I was months ago – ha ha:
I took the time while the cabin top was off to make a template of the glare shield.  I’m going to make a fiberglass lay up to overlay on top of the glare shield – will probably cover it with ultra-suede.  The reason I’m making a cover is so I can remove it to clean out all the dirt and bugs that will eventually find its way into the far reaches of the glare shield/windshield junction.  This way I’ll be able to remove it and vacuum it off.  Sheet of plastic to make a template:

Finished template:
Sanding the inside of the cover flat, so the seal lays flat:
Looking pretty good.  I’m not making it perfect, just level enough for the inside portion of the seal to lay flat.  I’ll then fill in the portion between the overhead console flange and the seal.  This will leave a flush edge on the cabin top for the seal to butt up against – should look nice.  I’m also going to lay up a few layers of fiberglass over the strut hinges to make small covers to cover up the cutouts in the overhead console.

No comments:

Post a Comment