Sunday, February 22, 2015

16 FEB 15: Page 21-09 step 4, Prosealed control rods: 3 hours
Prosealed the TE of the left aileron:
I also prosealed the ends of the control rods to make them air tight.  I have no clue if this will help – I primed the inside – but I read somewhere about doing this to prevent rust – no oxygen, no rust.  I had the proseal from the TE, so why not:

Finished the session by drilling out the rivets to remove the stiffeners off the aileron skin that I messed up.  New skins coming with the fuselage kit being delivered on the 23rd:

17 FEB 15: Wire runs in the wings: 1.5 hours
Ran strings to eventually pull wires in the wing conduits.  I read where people used the compressor to blow a string through the conduit.  I thought it would be really tough to do, but I just tied a small piece of foam to the end of the string and it blew through the whole conduit with ease.  This should make pulling wires a breeze.  Cut a hole in the conduit for the exit for the autopilot wires:
Taped off and marked the strings at the end of the conduit:

 18 FEB 15: Dimpled and deburred wing ribs and spars: 1.75 hours
Finished dimpling and deburring the bottom wing ribs and spars – no pics.

19 FEB 15: Dimpled inboard bottom wing skins: 2.25 hours
Finished dimpling and deburring the bottom wing ribs and spars, and dimpled the bottom inboard wing skins – no pics.

21 FEB 15: Page 21-09 step 4, dimpled left bottom wing skin, page 20-6 steps 1-3: 4.5 hours
Riveted the TE of the left aileron after letting the proseal cure for about 3 days.  Hard to tell from the pic, but it turned out very nice.  Arrow strait and nice rivets.  This is always a nerve wracking part of construction!
Dimpled the left, bottom, outboard wing skin and attached the nutplates for the access covers.  Also dimples all the access covers:

22 FEB 15: Page 20-5 step 10: 4 hours
Started to rivet the inboard bottom wing skin.  I helped a friend shoot the bottom skins on his -14.  He bucked and I shot.  It looked pretty tough for him to buck – took us about 7.5 hours per wing – so I wasn’t looking forward to trying this solo, but I wanted to see how it would go.  Who said scrawny arms aren’t an asset ;)
This was tedious and slow going, but the results were excellent.  I only did the inboard skin down to the j-channel.  I’ve decided to do the rest with the help of my -14 builder friend.  It is doable solo.  I’m glad I did this much, just to try it out.  Have no desire to do both wings solo, however.  Looks really nice:

No comments:

Post a Comment