Sunday, August 17, 2014

12 AUG 14: Page 9-14 step 12: 1.5 hours
Riveted the right elevator trailing edge – turned out great! – no pics.
13 AUG 14: Page 9-14 step 12: 1.5 hours
Riveted the left elevator trailing edge – turned out great! – no pics.
14 AUG 14: Page 9-15 step3 1-2: 3.5 hours
Finished riveting the E-1001 skins to the flanges of the outboard tip ribs.  Riveted the E-1022 shear clip to the close out tabs in the E-1001 skins.  Began to redo an elevator trim tab,  but messed it up – glad I ordered 2 replacements!
15 AUG 14: Page 9-16 steps 4-5, page 9-17 steps 1-8: 3.5 hours
Redid the left elevator trim tab.  Took quite a while, but on my 3rd try, I was happy with this one.  I wasn’t happy with the tabs on the originals, but this one turned out pretty good.  Instead of the wedges as called out in the plans, I used my back riveting plate held in my table vise to make the bends.  Much better than the wedges with pretty good results:
16 AUG 14: Prepped right elevator trim tab skin: 1.5 hours
The right is fine, but I ordered another right skin when I ordered the 2 left skins.  The tabs came out much better on the left skin, so I figure I’ll redo the right as well.
17 AUG 14: Page 9-17 steps 9-10, page 14-4 steps 1-2: 6 hours
Applied tank sealant to the mating surfaces of each foam trim tab rib and placed clamp blocks onto the trim tab.  Riveted the bent tabs on the sides of the trim tabs.  Set aside to cure for a few days:
Moved back to working on the wings.  Enlarged the forward tooling holes to 7/16 for the SB437-4 snap bushings.  Enlarged the wire run pilot holes to 3/4 for wire conduit:
Finished the session by deburring all of the W-1025A flap hinge brackets.  I used a vixen file and finished them up with the scothbrite wheel:

No comments:

Post a Comment