Sunday, June 29, 2014

22 JUN 14: Page 10-20 step 1: 2 hours
Clecoed together the tailcone.  I’ve decided to try to back rivet as much as possible:

24 JUN 14: Page 10-20 step 2: 1 hour
Began riveting the tail cone stiffeners.
25 JUN 14: Page 10-20 step 2: 2 hours
Continued riveting the tailcone.  Noticed my back rivet set had a nub in the middle and was also convex in the center.  I was having fits getting nice shop heads in the tail cone stiffeners.  The faulty back rivet set:

The results:

The replacement:

Much nicer:
26 JUN 14: Page 10-20 step 2: 2 hours
Continued riveting the tail cone – no pics 
27 JUN 14: Page 10-20 step 2: 7.75 hours
Continued to rivet the tail cone.  Finished up the first side.  I was able to back rivet all rivets except the ones right next to the j-channel (too close to fit the back rivet set).  I had to get a little creative to back rivet the curved part of the skins/bulk heads.  Propped the tail cone at the proper angle:
 

Centered the back rivet plate:

 Shop head side looks good:
Manufactured side looks good, too:

 Back riveting really makes for nice rivets!
This rivet was too close to the j-channel to fit the back rivet set and a bucking bar:

 I used a tight fit dimpling bar and a back rivet set – worked great:
Right side complete!

I was worried about damage the skins on the curved part of the aft skin where I had to buck and shoot solo, but I am very happy with the results:
 28 JUN 14: Page 10-20 step 2: 4.4 hours
Finished the left side riveting.  Primed the edges that the right side skin will overlap:

Clecoed the right side skin to the frame:

29 JUN 14: Page 10-20 steps 2-7: 9.5 hours
Had to get creative back riveting the curved pieces with the second skin on – used the blanket as a counter-weight to balance the tailcone:

 Worked pretty well:
Took all day to get all the rivets shot, but at the end of the day, I didn’t have any clecos in the tailcone!



No comments:

Post a Comment