Saturday, March 22, 2014

17 MAR 14: Page 9-14 step 7, page 9-16 steps 1-2.  Primed VS, rudder parts: 6.5 hours
Finished the trim tab foam ribs and wood clamping blocks:

Spent the rest of the session setting up the downdraft table and getting ready to prime.  I’m not sure why, but I’ve been apprehensive about priming.  Maybe it was not knowing how well the table would work – didn’t want to get overspray all over the place – never using a HVLP gun, etc.  It took me quite a while to get everything in order – just like everything else, the first time takes forever due to the learning curve.  I am very happy to say that priming went very well!  Now that I know what I’m doing, the next batch will go much quicker:

18 MAR 14: Page 10-12 steps 1 & 4: .5 hours
Not much time tonight, but still wanted to do something - measured tie down bar and rudder cable angle. No pics.
19 MAR 14: Priming: 3 hours
Downdraft table set up:

The exhaust end:
Ready to shoot:

One batch done:
 
VS skin:

Tonight – second time priming – went much quicker than the first time.  I’m getting my system down.  Tonight’s progress:
20 MAR 14: Priming: 4 hours
Another batch of priming – almost done!

22 MAR 14: Redid VS and elevator rear spars, finished priming: 10 hours
Decided to redo the VS rear spar and the elevator rear spars.  While countersinking the flanges, the 3/32” holes were enlarged a bit beyond tolerances.  A call to Van’s said that I could continue on, but I decided to replace the pieces – not too expensive, and didn’t take much extra time.  This time I backed up the work with a piece of angle; also used the wedges to level the work:
 Finally finished all the priming for the VS, rudder, HS, and elevators – a lot of work, but living in Savannah, Ga.  I definitely wanted to prime.  Nothing left but to put all of this together!

No comments:

Post a Comment