Sunday, January 15, 2017

4-5 JAN 17: Page 45-5 steps 11-12 (L): 7.75 hours
Trimmed the outside perimeter of the left door.  The plans have you keep the index tabs on the doors while trimming to fit, but like others before me, I chose to make my own index tabs, so the doors can sit in their final position while trimming.  Marked and cutout the tabs from some scrap:

The tabs did a good job of holding the door in position:

I lost count with how many times I had the door on and off.  Off, trim, on, mark, off, trim, on, mark, off…again and again and again!  Not going for perfection at this point as the door will certainly shift a bit as I add the hinges, install the door seal, etc.  Looking pretty good:

11-12 JAN 17: Page 45-6 steps 1-3 (L), page 45-7 1-3 (L): 6 hours
Cut the threads off of four AN3-21A bolts to make the pins for the door hinges.  I had read other build logs that mentioned the play in the hinges.  One of the logs suggested shifting the forward hinge all the way forward and the aft hinge all the way aft while drilling the hinges.  In this way, the slop in the hinges is removed.  I made a couple of shims to hold the hinge in position as I drilled:

These held the hinges very well while drilling to the doors and removed any and all slop from the hinge:

Left door attached to the cabin top:

Inside of the hinges:

14 JAN 17: Trimmed left door gutter and fit door seal: 5.5 hours
Trimmed and sanded the door channel to fit the McMaster Carr seal.  My garage will never be the same – fiberglass dust everywhere! Forward edge:

Aft edge:

Still have some work to do on it.  I have the lateral distance trimmed well – looks consistent the entire way around the door opening.  However, I still have to adjust the width of the gutter to get a consistent 1/4 inch gap the entire way around – have some tight spots at the moment.  More sanding!!

No comments:

Post a Comment