Sunday, October 12, 2014

11 OCT 14: Saint Aviation Fly-in
Took the day off from building to fly down to Dunnellon Florida, X35 Marion County Airport.  Jesse Saint of Saint  Aviation held an RV-10 fly-in.  I stopped in St. Mary's, Georgia, 46J, to pick up Chris - a guy I met through  the Van's Airforce Forum.  Chris is contemplating building an RV-10 and came up to visit my project a few weeks ago.  It was nice to share my experience with a potential builder and it was nice to be able to go the fly-in with him.  A beautiful morning for a flight south:
My first real burger since becoming a vegetarian over a year ago.  My gut reminded me why I'm a vegetarian that evening!
Jesse and some of the guests:
12 OCT 14: Prekoted wing parts, page 16-2 step 6: 8.25 hours
Finished Prekoting the top wing skins.  Dimpled the holes on the upper flange of the rear spar and upper flange of all but the four inboard most ribs.  Dimpling the ribs:
Well, I’m not happy it happened, but I am glad it took this long for my first time figure eighting a dimple.  Doh!
 You don’t get much more of a perfect figure eight!  I flattened the dimple with a flat set in the squeezer:
I’m going to epoxy a piece of .032 to the back of the flange, fill the hole with epoxy, then countersink for the skin dimple.  The back piece will be used to secure the shop head.  I’ll just have to use a bit longer rivet.  Both wing skeletons dimpled and ready for the top skins:
Got the  down-draft table and exhaust fans set up for tomorrow; will prime the top and leading edge skins, stiffeners, leading edge ribs, and the exterior of the elevator trim tabs:
All ready for the Akzo Nobel first thing in the morning:

No comments:

Post a Comment