Saturday, February 8, 2014

Out of sequence, but meant to post a pic of the first part of the first day:


5 FEB 14: Page 6-3 steps 9-11, Page 6-4 steps 1-4: 3 hours
No pics.  Deburred remaining VS parts, final drilled hinge brackets, drilled/dimpled front spar doubler, made rudder stop parts and match drilled to bottom hinge bracket.

Ready to prime and rivet VS

6 FEB 14: Page 7-2 steps 1-3, page 7-3 step 1, page 7-4 step 1: 3.5 hours
So I want to wait until I have a lot of pieces before beginning to prime, so with the VS up to priming and riveting, I began the rudder tonight.  

Not much to show in the pics.  I began the night with this:


And I ended the night with this:

There was a lot of band saw and scotchbrite wheel action making the top and bottom ribs, 7 shear clips, and 14 stiffeners.  I ended by match drilling the bottom rib halves.

7 FEB 14: Page 7-4 steps 2-3: 1 hour
Short work session tonight.  Constructed the bottom rib half and rudder horn.  Also broke my #30 single flute counter sink L  Be careful not to bend the bit with the pilot still in the hole:

Still have the 3 flute countersinks, so I could continue progress:


8 FEB 14: Page 7-4 steps 4-6, page 7-5 steps 1-5, page 7-6 steps 1-5: 5.5 hours

Deburred/matchdrilled spar and rudder horn, countersink striker plates.  Match drilled all stiffener ribs:


Clecoed all rudder parts to the spar and match drilled all:


Deburred skin edges and removed plastic on rivet lines.  Took an hour to burn the rivet lines with the soldering iron.  As I’m going to paint the plane and scuff it up anyway, not sure why I’m keeping the plastic on.  Gonna rethink this in the future – takes too much time:


Trimmed the trailing edge wedge and clecoed the rudder together in preparation to match drill:



No comments:

Post a Comment