Saturday, January 11, 2014

Finished adding the air setup to the workbench.  On the left is a filter/dryer/regulator that the compressor hooks into.  A hose then comes out of the filter and wraps under the table top to the manifold, which 3 lightweight hoses hook into and supply the various air tools for the build - pneumatic cleco tool, rivet squeezer, drill, rivet gun, and HVLP spray gun used for priming:


Wanted to post a few pics from my trip to visit my Dad for Christmas - Savannah to Atlanta.  Gotta say that it is great to be in the RV for an hour vs. 3.5 in the car and dealing with all the traffic.  Beautiful day  on the way up, but VERY windy as a high was passing through:


Visibility was incredible - truly unlimited.  Unfortunately, so was the turbulence.  I love being in the air, but was glad to land:


I filed IFR for the return home.  It was beautiful in Atlanta, but weather was marginal in Savannah.  Departed VFR and then called Atlanta approach to pick up my clearance.  About 30 miles from Atlanta, I was in between layers at my enroute altitude of 4,000:


About 1/2 way to home, it was solid IMC.  Luckily, the temps were reasonable - about 48* - so no concerns with icing.  The view for the second half of the trip:


I love flying IFR/IMC.  Add to that the stratus layer, and an absolute calm atmosphere, and you have a great day to get some good weather time:


I set up for a GPS approach and was in and out at procedure turn altitude:


The avionics capability available to experimental aviation is nothing short of incredible.  The situational awareness is beyond staggering.  On the left, the iFly 720 has the ELA, and on the right side of the Dynon, I have the geo-referenced approach plate called up.  If you loose situational awareness with this cockpit, you have no business in the air!  Short final to home - a great IFR flight!


No comments:

Post a Comment